After almost a year since I started this personal project, I am proud to say that I’ve completed it.
Feel free to read the final chapter:
We began with The Island and the conflict between Jacob & MIB in the first two chapters. The story have since then wandered to other things such as Alvar, DHARMA, Widmore and Hawking in subsequent chapters. I wanted put the Jacob/MIB plot back in the forefront because I think it would be nice to have a circular structure to the overall story that I’m writing.
It was also an opportunity to try to shed more light into Dogen, Ilana and Locke’s role to the overall story.
– John Locke was my favourite character from LOST. Not because of how cool he was but by how pathetic he was throughout the show. We’ve waited for the time he will step up and overcome all the manipulations/bullying being done to him. But nop, he died a fool in the end.
Perhaps the saddest part was that he was RIGHT from the beginning. MIB told Ben that he admired Locke for the fact that he was the only one who didn’t want to leave the Island. Locke immediately knew the BIG PICTURE from the get go: They were brought to this Island for a purpose. Too bad he went over his head and act recklessly later.
Locke had the right idea but not the right execution.
– Ilana Verdansky. I’ve made it clear before that Ilana and her mysterious group doesn’t interest me as much as the Widmore/Hawking story. I got writer’s block when I came to the point where I had to write about Dogen and Ilana. I had several ideas on how they got to where they are now. Then I just left the chapter unfinished when I started my postgraduate course in Uni last Fall.
Yes, I took a break from this website and it was only recently where I decided to just finish the chapter. Looking back at Ilana’s character in S6, I’ve always find her to be trying to hard to have things under control. It was as if she has something she desperately want to prove to someone.
- So I came up with the idea of Ilana having parental issue (keeping with the theme in LOST) and lacks a father figure (which explains her devotion to Jacob).
- I took Shannon’s story about an evil stepmother and feeling worthless (explains why Ilana feels she has something t0 prove).
- I made her an ‘escort’ for someone to get her on board a cruise ship which capsized and brought her to the Island (I think it would be a nice nod to Sayid’s encounter with Ilana at the bar. Sayid asked if she was a professional prostitute)
- I made her be the one responsible for breaking the circle of ash around the Cabin. Originally, I wanted Henry Gale to be responsible but I just thought it would be a good excuse for Ilana to leave the Island and her desire to win back Jacob. I rewatched the scene where Bram pointed out the broken ash circle and Ilana just stood there looking at it. I saw it as Ilana feeling guilty and she volunteered to go into the Cabin alone afterwards.
– Olivia Goodspeed. Now I needed to explain Ilana’s mysterious group. I wanted to give Olivia Goodspeed some closure so I came up with her creating ‘Ilana’s group’ or as I call it here, the Jacobins.
I came up with this epilogue since I began writing this Fanfic. I wrote it while I was writing Chapter 6. It is good to finally publish it! The story began with The Island and it ends with The Island as well. I mean, it is afterall ‘The Story of The Island’ right?
But what I also wanted to do was to encourage readers to watch the show from the beginning again right after finishing my story. This is NOT the definitive take on LOST’s mythology, of course. It is my personal take on it and you decide whether to accept my take or not. But if you decide to accept my take on it then hopefully it can enhance your experience when you watch the whole series again.
Thank you for reading and I can now let go a big part of LOST in me 🙂
PS: I didn’t find a place to put in the ‘Canoe shooting’ scene. It’s not important to the overall story but if you are curious in my theory – I think Juliet shot one of Ilana’s men while they were on a boat with an unconscious Frank. Between episode ‘Dead is dead’ and ‘The Incident’ in Season 5.
OH AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST…THANK YOU TO LOST-MEDIA.COM FOR THE EXCELLENT IMAGES 🙂